Congratulations to Frank McFadden who shot his age – 83 – today (Wednesday, August 10, 2016) at Chesapeake Bay Golf Club’s Rising Sun Course. Great round Frank!
83 Years Ago – 1933 – Interesting Historical Facts
Below are some of the more enlightening moments of the year 1933 – 83 years ago. Enjoy!
- Franklin D. Roosevelt begins Presidential Term as 32nd US President – pledges to pull US out of the Depression
- Work on the Golden Gate Bridge begins
- “Lone Ranger” begins a 21-year run on ABC radio
- Delivery of 1st singing telegram (Postal Telegram Co NYC)
- US Senate accept Blaine Act: ending prohibition
- Game of “Monopoly” invented
- 1st drive-in theater opens (Camden, NJ)
- 4th Ryder Cup: Great Britain wins 6½-5½
- 1st All Star Baseball Game: AL wins 4-2 at Comiskey Park, Chicago. Babe Ruth hits first All Star home run.
- 68th British Golf Open: Denny Shute shoots a 292 at Old Course at St Andrews
- Frankford Yellowjackets sold, rechristened “Philadelphia Eagles”
- Congress passes 1st minimum wage law (33 cents per hour)
- Joe DiMaggio ends 61 game hitting streak
- NFL divides into (2) 5 team divisions
- Gene Sarazen wins 16th PGA Championship
- Lou Gehrig plays record 1,308th consecutive games
- Fred Astaire’s 1st film, “Dancing Lady”, released
- Fox Films signs Shirley Temple, 5, to a studio contract